Friday, April 2, 2010

Cottage Pie from the Food Network


Well, I found out something new Thursday night! The dish I always thought of as Shephard's Pie, was actually called Cottage Pie. Do you know what the difference is? No, I didn't either, but Cottage Pie has ground beef in it but true Shepard's Pie has ground lamb.
Whenever I made it, I used just the basic ingredients...ground beef, green peas, carrots, corn, etc and of course mashed potato as the top. This recipe that Jamie used the other night was out of this world and as you could tell by the intense flavors, a tad more complicated!!!!
By complicated I mean more work, but not hard by no means! It consisted of alot of ingredients - salt, pepper, onions, celery, garlic, tomato paste, beef stock, rosemary, thyme, a bay leaf and red wine....
Even the mashed potatoes were fancier from what I'm used to making! The combination of garlic, butter, whipping cream, salt, pepper and Parmesan cheese was awesome! It would be shameful for me to make my version of Shepard's Pie after tasting this one, so I'm just not going to make mine ever again!LOL
Jamie found this one on the Food Network once again...I guess you're starting to see a trend here with his favorite recipe sites!!
Take my word for it, if you ever go to make this dish you have to try this recipe and you will not believe the flavor! The kids ate every last bit in their bowls which is chore for one of them to do at the best of times!!

No comments:

Post a Comment